Procedures and Rules for Staying in Japan

Residence Card

Under the Immigration Control Act of Japan, a "residence card" is issued to those foreign nationals who reside in Japan for longer than 90 days (3 months).
The card is issued at certain ports of entry, namely Narita, Haneda, Chubu Centrair or Kansai International Airports. For those who enter Japan at any other airports, the card will be issued by the municipal offices where the applicant resides.
A residence card contains a photo of the applicant, his/her name, nationality/region, date of birth, sex, residence status, period of stay, permission to work, etc.

It is necessary to register at the municipal office for your residence within 14 days of moving in. If you reside in Morioka, the application procedures will be handled at the resident registration division on the 1st floor of the main building of Morioka City Hall.

It is also necessary to report a change of place of residence within 14 days from the date when the change occurred.

Necessary Documentation to register place of residence or to report a change of address (apply to municipal office for residence)

  • Residence card (if you have the card. If you have an alien registration card instead, the alien registration card should be submitted.)
  • Passport
  • Moving-out Notification (This document is necessary when one is moving from one municipality to another within Japan. You must receive this document from the previous municipality office beforehand.)

Notification of (a change of) an item other than the place of residence

Please note that you are required to go to the immigration office when you wish to make changes of any items other than the place of residence (such as name, date of birth, sex, nationality/region) or to apply for reissuance of the card.

A residence card is not issued to the following persons:

  • Persons granted permission to stay for 3 months or less
  • Persons granted "Temporary Visitor" status
  • Persons granted "Diplomat" or "Official" status
  • Persons recognized by the Ministry of Justice as equivalent to the foreign nationals in the aforementioned (In particular, the Ministry of Justice ordinance specifies staff of the Japanese office of the East Asia Relations Commission or of the Permanent General Mission of Palestine in Japan and their families.)
  • Special permanent residents
  • Persons with no residence status

Procedures and Rules for Staying in Japan

Visa Extension

If you plan on extending your length of stay in Japan, a request for an extension must be filed prior to the expiration date of your visa. Applications for visa extensions may be submitted three months prior to the visa's expiration date.

Necessary Documentation
  • Application for extension of period of stay
  • Proof of enrollment in the university
  • Transcript (Research students shall submit Proof of Research instead)
  • Financial Disclosure
  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Fee (*only revenue stamps are accepted)
  • National Health Insurance Card

Re-entry Permission

If you wish to temporarily leave Japan for longer than a year, you will need to get a re-entry permit. Re-entry permits can be obtained at immigration offices in Japan. For absences of less than one year, re-entry permits are not required. However, please report your travel plans to your supervisor and the International Office.

Necessary Documentation
  • Application for Re-entry Permit
  • Passport
  • Residence Card
  • Fee (*only revenue stamps are accepted)

Part-time Work Permission

 ※Part-time Work Permission

Changes in Residence Status

A residence card holder who stops the activity that he/she was previously granted permission for and intends to start a different activity must change the status of residence officially.
For example, if a prospective university student is holding a status of residence other than "student" prior to enrollment, he/she is required to change the status to "student." At the same time, when a student wishes to work in Japan after graduation or completion of a course of study, he/she is also required to change from student status to the appropriate status.
Please note that even if the original period of stay has not ended, remaining in Japan as a "student" after completion of studies is considered illegal. Instead, in order to remain in Japan legally, changing the status of residence is required.


Applicants should apply at the immigration bureau in person for extensions of period of stay, re-entry permits, and permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted.
The international office has the necessary application forms. They will be happy to help you check through the necessary documents before submission.

Immigration Bureau, etc

  • Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau: 1-3-20 Gorin, Miyagino-ku, Sendai City, Miyagi Pref. (TEL:022-256-6076)
  • Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau Morioka Branch Office: Morioka #2 Government Building 6F, 1-9-15 Nishidori, Morioka Station, Morioka City (TEL:019-621-1206)
  • Immigration Information Center
    The Sendai Immigration Information Center was established in the Sendai Regional Immigration Bureau in order to provide consultation regarding entering and staying in Japan. TEL:022-298-9014 (9:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00)

Education for Children

If you have children, they may enter Japanese schools. Contact information is as follows:

Elementary and Junior High School

Morioka Board of Education
Tel 019-651-4111 019-651-4111
Morioka City Hall/Child Welfare Section
Tel 019-651-4111 019-651-4111
* For National / Private schools, please inquire at each school.

Day-care Center (if parents are students)

Morioka City Hall/Child Welfare Section

Tel 019-651-4111 019-651-4111
* For National / Private schools, please inquire at each school.