English Camp, Global Village, International Month, etc.
Activities and Events Outside the Classroom
Iwate University organizes an English Camp once each year as an activity to support regional education. The English Camp is planned and managed by students currently involved in the Earlham College SICE Program, a short-term Japanese language program held in Iwate University, past SICE Program participants who are now working as assistant language teachers in Morioka, and Iwate University students. All the preparation and activities for the camp are carried out in English, so we highly recommend this program for students who want to become friends with international students or improve their communication skills in English. The camp takes place in the fall semester, and applications are accepted from mid-July to the end of August. One pre-camp meeting for students who have been accepted will be held at the start of October, with a second pre-camp meeting taking place around two weeks before the camp begins, so please read the posters carefully. If you are interested, please watch for application information posted on the website and the bulletin board in front of the International Office.
Orientation for Study and Training Abroad
The orientation for study and training abroad programs is held in the middle of May each year. The orientation offers an overview of Iwate University's study abroad programs, as well as providing information about university-wide student programs and the programs organized by each Faculty. It also provides the necessary English learning information for students considering international exchange in an English-speaking country to make plans. Students who have participated in short-term overseas training or international exchange talk about their experiences, allowing people who attend to hear everything firsthand. Announcements for the orientation will be posted on the website, and distributed via flyers in general education language classes for first-year students. Everyone is welcome.
Iwate University hosts the "Iwate University International Month" each year in November for students, staff, and members of the public. The aim is to promote international understanding, enhance interest in international exchange, and improve the ripple effect from our projects. International Month is packed with a variety of events, including displays and presentations from students about their experiences participating in overseas programs and international volunteer projects, lectures by external lecturers, lectures in English by faculty members from partner universities, and information meetings about international volunteer activities.
Iwate University Global Village: A Space for Multilingual and Multicultural Exchange
The following three activities are being held at the Global Village! Any Iwate University students who want to become friends with international students, learn about the world, share information about the area with international students, experience different cultures, or make connections with global talent are more than welcome at the Global Village.
- (1) Glocal multilingual multicultural exchange events: We host mixers and workshops with international and Japanese students, including international exchanges and introductions to Japanese culture, as well as lectures by people who are active in the local and global communities. We also accept student event plans as needed. Experience the world while on campus, and broaden your perspective and circle of friends!
- (2) Individual English Consultations (English Time): We support students practicing English conversation and presentations, and our English-native staff members offer individual guidance such as checking English compositions. Students can discuss anything related to English learning with us. Students who do not know how to study, who feel their English is not improving that much, who are not very good at English, or who are scared of speaking to a native English speaker - all are welcome! Bookings are for 30-minute slots, and you can access them using the QR code to the right. Let's try!
- (3) Japanese Café: A venue for international exchange in Japanese between Japanese and international students. Japanese students teach English to international students while experiencing multiculturalism, and international students learn natural Japanese.
Location: Student Center Building B 1F, next to the International Office
Everyone is welcome! Come and join in!
English Camp、Global Camp
To support regional education, Iwate University organizes an English Camp and a Global English Camp every year. The English Camp is hosted by a group of Iwate University students, including students on the Earlham College SICE program, a short term Japanese language program held at Iwate University. SICE program alumni who are currently working as assistant language teachers in Morioka also help host this program. On the other hand, the Global English Camp is a collaborative effort between Iwate University students and international students from a number of countries whose command of English is excellent. Both groups plan and organize the camp together. The entire process of preparation and operation of these camps is done in English, so we highly recommend these events to students who want to become friends with international students or improve their communication skills in English. Both camps are scheduled during the fall semester. If you are interested, please watch for the staff-recruitment information posted on the website and bulletin boards.
Multicultural, Multilingual Exchange Space "Global Village"
Orientation for Study / Training Abroad
The orientation for study and training abroad programs is held in the middle of May every year. The orientation provides an overview of the Iwate University study abroad programs for all students as well as programs offered by each Faculty. At the same time, students who have returned from training or study abroad programs will talk about their experiences. Announcements for the orientation will be made available on the website, bulletin boards, and on flyers. Everyone is welcome to join us.
Iwate University hosts the "Iwate University International Month" from the end of October to the middle of November every year for students and staff of the university as well as the public. The purpose is to enhance international understanding and increase interest in cultural exchange. The month is filled with a wide range of events, from reports about the experiences of students who participated in overseas programs and international volunteer projects to lectures co-hosted by the U.S. Consulate General in Sapporo, as well as lectures in English by staff from partner universities, and much more.
Main programs given in the past
- Poster exhibition on study abroad and overseas programs
- Special lectures by staff from partner universities
- Talk Café: Tell Me About Your Awesome Experience!! (Co-hosted with the on-campus company "ECL")
- International Training - Energy and Sustainable Society - Report Session
- California Innovation Study Program by US-JAPAN Forum - Report Session
- Ganchan International Forum (Lecture by leading global intellectuals such as former ambassadors or professors)
Tobitate! Career Café (Co-hosted with the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)