In April 2016 Iwate University reorganised its faculties and departments
According to its motto, "Together with Iwate and its people," Iwate University is engaged in education and research in order to contribute to sustainable regional development. In particular, after the Great East Japan Earthquake, students, faculty, and staff have contributed toward reconstruction under the guidance of the all-campus Organization of Revitalization for the Sanriku region. In addition, in order to address current problems such as disaster reconstruction, aging population/low birth rates, and the globalization of society, the university has reorganised its faculties and academic departments under three pillars: Disaster Recovery - Vitalization of Local Areas, Development of Global Human Resources, and Fostering Innovation.
The three pillars for the reorganization design of the curriculum
Development of Global Human Resources
- The university established the Global Education Center, with improved study abroad programs.
- The university established a program to educate individuals who can solve problems in Iwate by approaching them from a global perspective.
Disaster Recovery - Vitalization of Local Areas
- The Faculty of Agriculture created an organization for research and education related to marine products.
- The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences now consist of 2 departments in order to accommodate disaster reconstruction and vitalization of regional areas.
- The Faculty of Education specializes in teacher training.
- The Faculty of Science and Engineering established the "Special Program for the Vitalization of Regional Areas."
- The field of science was added to engineering to establish the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- The Faculty of Science and Engineering established the "Special Program of Cutting-Edge Science and Engineering."
- The Faculty of Agriculture reorganized to offer more technically-specialized disciplines and become committed to sixth sector industrialization.
Chart - Reorganization of Undergraduate Programs
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (capacity: 215 students)
Department of Human Sciences (40)
- Studies in Human and Information Science
- Studies in Behavioral Science
Department of Intercultural Studies (75)
- Studies in Cultural Systems
- Studies in Asian Cultures
- Studies in Western Languages and Cultures
Department of Law and Economics (70)
- Studies in Law
- Studies in Economics
Department of Environmental Sciences (30)
- Studies in Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Education (capacity: 250 students)
Department of Teacher Education (160)
- Studies in School Education (150)
- Studies in Education for Students with Special Needs (10)
Department of Lifelong Education (50)
- Studies in Japanese Language and Regional Culture (25)
- Studies in Sports Education (25)
Department of Arts and Culture (40)
- Studies in Art and Design (24)
- Studies in Calligraphy (5)
- Studies in Music (11)
Faculty of Science and Engineering (capacity: 400 students)
Department of Chemistry and Bioengineering (75)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering (60)
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (120)
Department of Mechanical Engineering (80)
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (65)
Faculty of Agriculture (capacity: 210 students)
Department of Agro-biosciences (65)
- Studies in the Science of Bio-resources
- Studies in the Science of Bio-industries
Department of Biological Chemistry and Food Sciences (40)
Department of Environmental Sciences for Sustainability (55)
- Studies in Environmental Sciences for Sustainability
- Studies in Forestry
- Studies in Rural Environmental Design
Department of Animal Sciences (30)
Cooperative Department of Veterinary Medicine (30)
[Admission capacity: 1,075 students]